My Favorite Blogs

3.27.2012

My Guilty Pleasure Meal: Skinny Version

Like everyone, I have a go-to guilty pleasure meal.  It is usually chicken tenders and fries.  If I've had a bad day, that's what I want.  Now thinks to Pinterest, I have been able to find the "skinny" version of my favorite meal.  I made it last night and was quite proud of it!


Salad Course:  Salad with Low-Fat Buttermilk Ranch

I started with a basic salad (NO cheese or crutons, bummer, I know) with a low-fat buttermilk ranch dressing.  I stumbled across this recipe at SkinnyTaste.com  which is my new favorite website for healthy recipies.  She lists everything about her recipes- fat, cals, protein, fiber, carbs, WW points and  serving size.  That is so helpful for us trying to stay on track.

I used the salad from a bag that you can buy in any store.  I usually like to make my own with romain, lettuce, and veggies, but I didn't just for time sake.

Here is the recipe for Gina at Skinny Taste's Low-Fat Buttermilk Ranch.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/low-fat-buttermilk-ranch-dressing.html

Low-fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 13 • Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
Calories: 52.3 • Fat: 2.0 g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Fiber: 0.0 g • Protein: 3.4 g • Sugar: 3.7 g
Sodium: 288.8 mg

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup fat free sour cream
  • 3/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup Hellman's light mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cups 1% low fat buttermilk

Directions:

In a small bowl or large measuring cup, combine the sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, powder, onion powder, parsley, chives, salt, and cracked pepper. Mix well.

Stir in the white balsamic vinegar; then buttermilk.



Main Course: Baked Chicken Nuggets and Twice Baked Potatoes

This sounds like a quite-unhealthy choice for my diet.  But to my surprise, it is not! And this was delicious!  The chicken was to die for!

The chicken nuggets were also one of Gina's recipes from Skinny Taste.  Seriously, if you have not tried this website, you must check it out!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/healthy-baked-chicken-nuggets.html


Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th of nuggets • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 164.9 • Fat: 4.6 g • Protein: 22.1 g • Carb: 7.7 g • Fiber: 0.9 g Sugar: 0.1 g

  • 16 oz (2 large) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bit sized pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 2 tbsp panko
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • olive oil spray (I used my Misto)

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray.

Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.

Season chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil and mix well so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken.

Put a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top with olive oil spray then bake 8 - 10 minutes. Turn over then cook another 4 - 5 minutes or until cooked though.

The twice baked potatoes I made were found from the WW Recipe website.  These were also delicious.  This is another great website for those like me who are trying to eat healthy.


Skinny Twice Baked Potatoes
Makes 6 Servings
Per Serving: 88 Calories; 1g Fat; 2.5g Protein; 17.3g Carbs; 2.3g Fiber


  •  3 large baking potatoes
  • 1/2 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
  • 1/3 cup thin green onion slices
  • 1/4 cup Light Sour Cream
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
 Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Pierce potatoes in several places with tip of sharp knife. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Immediately cut potatoes lengthwise in half; scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells.

Beat potato pulp, broth, 1/2 cup cheese, onions, sour cream and mustard with mixer until well blended. Spoon into shells; top with remaining cheese and paprika.

Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.



I highly suggest trying this awesome meal!  I was stuffed after it and had no desire to snack later that night!  Happy healthy eating!



1 comment:

Thanks for the lovely comments! xo, Ashley